Friday 16 November 2012

Ride natty dread

So, after weeks of researching on the internet and watching other loc queens on youtube, I decided to take the plunge and loc my hair. Now, the only snag was what to do with the new growth. I thought of doing the palm rolling/twisting thing but like I said, we were living in Saudi Arabia where they don't have products for 'African hair'. So, the only thing was to find a method that wouldn't need all that gel locing products like bees wax.

Eventually found a girl who had tiny locs on you-tube and locked the new growth with a latch-hook. So I went flying to the stores to find a latch-hook which they thankfully had and so I was free to begin my los journey. Yay!

So here's a picture of how long my hair was after it had flat ironed:






And what it looks like when it is all washed:




Yeah- not so fun to look at! African hair hair and water don't really mix like that! Basically, it causes our hair to shrink. I totally look like a harassed woman right there!  He he he!

Alright, so the teaching we had back in Nigeria that when you want to start dreads, you need to cut everything real short. But I think the truth is that because we start perming our hair quite young, any hair style that would require the presence of the natural African curl, one would need to let the hair grow out a little bit and then cut off the permed portion. But since I had my hair all natural, there was no need to cut it.

So, after soaking the hair with rich oils, I combed the whole thing through and sectioned it:





And the slow painful process of locing began...

No comments:

Post a Comment