Friday 16 November 2012

Dust to dust

One of the things that will always be constant is death- people will die. Like I mentioned in my last post, I lost my father when I was 14 years old and it wasn't a fun thing to happen to one so young.
It wasn't easy at first but we soon accepted the fact that he wasn't coming back anytime soon. We are the ones that will one day join him in heaven. But one thing kept me going and it was the assurance that God knew exactly what He was doing. Plus, the added advantage that God was now my Father in every sense of the word.

This has been my perception of death- that we will all be re-united with our loved ones when we die or when Jesus comes back for us (which ever comes first!) and so its really no use mourning too long for loved ones.

Well, that was all fine and dandy until I recently got news that a loved friend had passed from complications of bone cancer. At first, it was hard to believe- like what does that mean when you say Lummie is dead?! Then, I went into this horrible stage of grief that I couldn't shake because, you see, he left behind a wife and a little boy of less than 3 years old. Plus the fact that he he had undergone the pain and horror cancer without letting folks know about it so we could pray for him was too much to bear.

Then pictures of his funeral were posted on Blackberry and I just lost it. It was like, this was so real and Lummie is really gone. It was just too much but I guess I had to find a way to get it together and get myself back to seeing things from a less selfish point of view. I had to accept the fact that yes, we will miss him but he had truly gone to a better place, wouldn't have to keep under-going chemo and we will see him one day and never ever be separated again.

I know it sounds corny and all but the alternative is too miserable to accept. Imagine believing that this life is all there is with all its pain, disappointments and all the short lived periods of joy and happiness. I choose to believe that there is a God that is arranging things for good and one day we will be with our loved ones with new bodies and joy everlasting! So, I can go on with life in spite of all the not-so-fun things that happen knowing that this is just temporary...

                                                    Olumide 'Lummie' Oduwole
                                                                  (1981-2012)
                                                                  See you soon!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment