Friday 16 November 2012

Ride natty dread 2

One thing that I found out while doing my hair all by myself is that you will never know how strong you are until you are pushed beyond your limit. Mehn, that whole process took me a whole week! You need to realize that I am a wife and a mother of 2 little children and everyone requires attention. But I just thank God for the man I married because he really tried to help me with the girls while I tended to my hair- but I still had to make dinner and feed the girls.

So, the first stage was done in like 3 days or so:


But the finished look wasn't what I was going for. The parts were too big and I had to hold it in a pony-tail for it to look tidy. So, that meant doing it all over again. Oh dear!

So, while everyone else was sleeping, I stayed up at night watching "The Good wife" back-to-back while taking each part and re-dividing it up into 3-4 tiny ones. Mehn, the whole thing took me a week to do and by the time I was done, I was so tired! But it was all finally done!


So, I'll be locked for a full year this Christmas and I am so existed and amazed at how time has flown. I am not fully loced and all but it has been a lesson on patience and the acceptance of the fact that sometimes it's best to just let things be and allow time do its thing.

So, the process I used was the 3-strand braid so that I don't have to worry about it unraveling when I was my hair. Plus, I don't have issues with build-up that others who use bees wax and all other locing products use and I can style it any way I like.






Unfortunately, I haven't gotten over the need to have something other than black hair, much to my husband's chagrin. So, after watching my girls on youtube, I decided to do something about colouring my hair. I wanted to go Rihanna red but each time I applied colour, it didn't take- I guess because my hair is quite dark and all. I actually applied hair colur twice to my hair and all I got was this very unimpressive less-than-black hue and a coppery highlight when I stood in the sun. Hissssss...... That was so not acceptable!

So, after watching some more youtube, I went to the drugstore to get me some bleach! I know, right?! But my dear, desperate times call for desperate measures! So, I mixed the whole solution as instructed on the pack and this is what I ended up with:


Oops!

Well, it was quite a difference from my black locs but I soon got into it and found ways to rock my orange my locs! He he he!

Any tips for inquiring folks out there? Well, do your research so you know what is best for your hair. I decided to do the 3-strand braidlocs because I have very little patience with unraveling hair. Plus, all I do is latch- hook the roots every 2 months. I mist it with water morning and night and wash every other week. I sleep with a head wrap too. Also because, I tend to have a dry scalp, I put some oil (my mix of coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, castor oil and essential oils for scent) on my finger tips and just massage my scalp with it. Works like a charm!

For me, the downside is the fact that it isn't growing as fast as I would have liked but I am coming to terms with the fact that all good things take time. I will definitely keep you all posted on my progress and thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment