Wednesday 23 July 2014

Alice in Wonderland- Chioma's take

(Originally written in March 12, 2012)

Alright, so I’ll try to keep this short and sweet and not frighten y’all with my usual ramblings- pinkie promise! (wink wink)

So, the other night, after putting my divas to bed, I decided to continue with the tedious job of interlocking my micro locs. So, naturally I had to look for something fun to keep me occupied. After much flipping of the available things to watch, I finally decided to re-watch Tim Burton’s “Alice in Wonderland”.

I had see it earlier, you know, just to tell myself, or anyone who would ask, that I had seen it. But this time, I was watching to enjoy it and really allow myself to be swept away into the world that only someone like Tim Burton can create. And boy, did I have a swell time! I loved seeing my love (Johnny Depp- yay!) again and all the different, exciting, unbelievable, larger-than-life characters, the costumes, make-up, vibrant colours, the set (it won the 2011 Oscar for best art direction) and uber witty dialogue.

But my favourite part was that scene where the Mad Hatter pokes Alice in her gut region and sadly informs her that:

"You were much more muchier (then)...You've lost your muchness."

Instantly, it was like something jumped on the inside of me, you know, almost like the Hatter was talking to me- have I lost my muchness?

Now, I do believe that the concept of muchness will be different for everyone but I personally believe that muchness is that childlike freedom to believe that anything is possible; the simplicity of spirit to live life free of all unnecessary restraint, jadedness and negativity. It is the fervor and fire of inner freshness, untamed imagination and creativity oozing from every pore.  It is also the courage and boldness to be oneself without apologies; the humility to acknowledge wrong-doing and the strength of character to receive correction in good faith. It could also be defined as the will to rise up for others who cannot do so for themselves even at the pain of certain death. The graciousness and kindness of a queen and keen sense of what is fair and just- true nobility. The heart of a lioness.

These, I believe where the qualities missing in the 19 year old Alice. Such that within minutes, the Mad Hatter realized that she was nothing like the precious little heroine that had visited their land 13 years or so earlier. So, that the realization that she had lost that muchness proved disastrously tragic to the people of Underland as they were expecting that she was the one to save them from their predicament with the evil red queen.

But you see that is the good thing about muchness- it never really goes away. It, more times than not, needs a little bit of shaking up. I’m sure it hurt Alice to be told that bluntly that something so awesome was lacking in her. But soon enough situations arose that caused her to mutter in private rebellion to the words of the Mad Hatter (“lost my muchness, have I?”) and in annoyance, reach deep inside to find her muchness again. So that when they needed a champion to fight ‘the jabberwoky’, our brave Alice stepped up, faced that hellish creature almost 50 times her size and ‘offed with it’s head’ with the magical vorpal sword.

Another thing that struck me were the profound words of the White Queen:

“Because when you step out to face that creature, you will step out on your own”

How true! That’s the thing about life and it challenges- when a testing comes, every person must face the music alone. We don’t do the hard stuff as a group- we must all bear the burden or fight that dragon singularly. You must bear down and push out that baby by yourself. You must sit down and write that exam alone. You must stand up to that bully alone. You must open your mouth and defend that PhD. thesis alone. Whatever that testing is, always bear in mind that physically speaking, no one will do it for you- not even God. Remember that when it was His turn, that it was only Jesus hanging on that cross such that, in terrible anguish, He cried:

“My God, my God! Why have you forsaken me?!”
Matt.27:46

It’s equally what will happen on the last day, before that Great White Throne of the Almighty. On that day, we will each give account of every single thing we’ve done. We will not do is as a group of jolly friends or as happy family or a besotted couple. Each person will step out and step out alone to face the music because no one will do it for you- no matter how much they love you. What will your performance be like?

So, Alice had to take some time out, reach deep down and find that much needed muchness to do what needed to be done.

Another thing that jumped out at me was the importance of the spoken word. Case in point- the scene where she begins to verbally spell out those 6 impossible things as she walks towards her opponent, the Jabberwocky:

“I try to believe in as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
Count them, Alice.
One, there are drinks that make you shrink.
Two, there are foods that make you grow.
Three, animals can talk.
 Four, cats can disappear.
Five, there is a place called Underland.
Six, I can slay the Jabberwocky”.

Please, note how she vocally utters the words, you know, almost like to encourage and psyche herself to believe that she can actually do the impossible. It reminds me so much of what the Bible says in Rom. 10:17:

So faith comes from hearing the message, and the message that is heard is what Christ spoke.
(God’s Word Translation)

Now, applying that element in our lives as exemplified by Alice is to daily discard what the world says about us. Then we replace these ideas with God's Word instead. It must be a daily task to chant  to ourselves, the Words of Christ in other to increase our faith, sense of worth and generally, our muchness. Over time, if we say it over and over again, we will begin to believe it. So, that when that jabberwocky of a problem presents itself, we have so beefed up our spirits with the life-giving words of our Lord that all we need to do is wield that Sword of the Spirit (which is the Word of God) and cut off the lying tongue of the dragon, then his head and claim our victory through Christ. Hallelujah!

Finally, precious reader, has life beaten you down so that you’ve lost your muchness? Well, have no fear because greater is He that is in you than then he who is in the world. Stand up, dust off your gorgeous butt, pick up that Sword again, open your lovely lips and chant those Words over and over till you believe them:

I can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens me!
(Phil. 4:13)

And feel that surge of your muchness rising on your inside like the phoenix from the ashes and fly, baby, fly!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment